Monday, December 27, 2010

Thanksgiving all over again...

I know, Thanksgiving was last month. Christmas was last weekend. New Year's Eve is next on the list. But I'm having Thanksgiving all over again in my heart, today!

I am so grateful for our wonderful Christmas weekend. We got to spend time with all sorts of wonderful family members. Some of whom we see a lot and others we see so rarely, and our newest member! My cousin's 3 month old baby girl! It was a blessing!

Christmas, for us, starts with Advent. We start the celebrating a bit early. And then our family events last for about 3 days. There have been years that it seemed like too much, and almost a burden to fit everyone and everything in, and not wear out my kids. But now we are blessed to have a routine down and an extra day to fit it in. It's still a bit of an energy zapper, but it is so fun! We have more time to relax and enjoy time with each group we visit.

And now it's all winding down and there, on the floor, are a few special toys that were purchased for the boys by beloved family members. The boys are having a great time playing together, wearing their new shirts from grandma and grandpa. No, they didn't get techno gadgets, no laptops, no video games, no digital cameras. They got board games, lego toys, and science kits. I love that they are enjoying these goodies and not wondering why someone didn't spend hundreds on them. I also love that through all this, they 'get it.' What child gets up on Christmas morning and sees their goodies laying out and go back to bed till mom and dad say they can get up and open everything? They got up, got dressed, and we read their advent story. They had a ball opening their things, but they actually get the reason for the season and that, I pray, never ends. Toys will break, clothes will be outgrown, but Christ was, is and will be! And for that I'm thankful!

I am taking this week off of school (as most schools do this time of year.) However, I'm full of gratefulness for our curriculum and I can't wait to start up again next week! And I'm grateful that we get to take the time off to just hang out and play the new board games together! They will be grown and gone soon. So I'm thankful for my time now.

I know that it is biblical to be thankful in all things. But somehow I forget now and then. Today, I was flooded by the long list of things that I'm thankful for. And this post is just a few of the many things crossing my mind today.

No matter what my circumstances may be, I pray I can keep a heart of thanksgiving. I hope you are also being blessed with gratefulness and joy this time of year. Happy Thanksgiving and have a blessed 2011!!

English Standard Version (©2001)
"...give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

No comments:

Post a Comment