Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Weaver ~ In the Beginning...

It just isn't possible to sum up The Weaver in a paragraph. So I suggest that you grab a cup of tea or some chocolate and put your feet up for a few minutes while I tell you our experience thus far! We've not been using it that long, but I have to share what a blessing it has been for our family!

When I first started homeschooling my preschooler in 2004, I was drawn to the idea of a Unit Study approach. I loved the idea that I could teach both kids on the same topic but at their own level. I looked over some types of Unit Studies and just didn't feel like God was opening the door for me to use any of them. Either it was clearly not for our family, or it was so overwhelming to me that I couldn't picture how to make it work. I tried various styles of learning, and all of them were wonderful in their own way. But something still seemed to be missing and my longing for unit studies didn't go away.

Unit studies have a base that all other subjects are centered around. For example, many are history based. As the student learns a new part of history, all the other school subjects deal with the same topic. Some are based on science. But still, none of them stood out.

Now, if you have read my article My Foundation for Homeschooling you will understand where I was coming from. I didn't want to just have 'Bible time' as part of our day. I wanted every part of our education to point our eyes to our Creator. And, it is sad to say, sometimes Bible time would get left out of our day because we ran out of time.

No matter how good my boys are (and I do think they are pretty good kids), they had many days where apathy was the attitude toward their school work. I know that we had the curriculum we had because I prayed and felt so certain in what I bought. And I still feel certain, I believe God had us where He wanted us, using what we were supposed to use.

In the late fall of 2010, I once again found myself asking the Lord if there was something else I had missed. I truly don't recall where The Weaver first popped up. But it was online somewhere. One reference lead to another. I was getting very curious and excited!

I wasn't looking to change things THIS year. I was thinking ahead to next year. But along came a sweet woman who happened to have an extra set of Weaver volume 1. I didn't expect to see it come so soon, but the mail moved FAST and it was at my home in a matter of a few days. I tore open the box and started to devour the information inside! It was as if this was written just for us!

What is it that makes me love it so? First, this curriculum is based in Scripture. So let's say that today we read about the Tower of Babylon. We'll then start learning about architecture. Then we'll build some sugar cube buildings. You can see how that little project turned out on my article http://hearts4home.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-year-goals-weight-lifting.html New Year Goals. With that in mind, you will never run out of time for Bible, because it all STARTS in the Bible! You can't do any other school work without opening in the Word!

Library time is always fun for us. We love it! But now it's a scavenger hunt. We look ahead at the unit we'll study and write down the topics, the books the author suggests, and a few rabbit trail ideas of our own. Then we head to the library with our list in hand ready to attack! We come home with stacks of rich videos and books.

Before going any further, let's go through the binders together...




Day by Day... Some people opt out of this planner, but I love it. I think you have to remind yourself that it is a tool. You aren't a slave to the planner. You can do, or not do, whatever you like. Each unit is separated by a divider. At the beginning of each unit divider is a "Unit Preparation" page (or pages.) Becky Avery (the author) has put these pages together for the educator to read in advance. It explains what you'll be teaching, possible book suggestions for read alouds, and supplies you may need.

From there, each page is labeled by the day. So you'll see Chapter 1: Day 1. You won't see Monday, Tuesday... There is no hurry in this. You do each day as you feel you are ready. Under the Chapter and Day is room for you to write in the date, and she has the theme written. Ie- "The city, Creation vs. Evolution. Under that you'll see a "thought for the day" section. These can be read to the student or can just be a pick-me-up for the teacher.

Each subject is in bold print below. So it opens with Bible, listing the reference to read, it tells you which bible lesson you will read from in Volume 1, and any other supplies or information you'll need for the bible study on that day.

Below that comes the Social Studies OR Science section. I say 'or' because you trade off every other day. This keeps it fresh for my boys! They love doing something different every other day. Under Social Studies or Science you'll see a list of grade levels and objectives. We'll come back to that in a bit.

After that is Language Arts OR Health and Safety, again, alternating. Then a list of books and supplies needed, creative writing suggestions, Wisdom Words (if you so chose to use her Language Arts program). And it ends with Math and Reading sections which are left blank. This way you can fill in what you want to use in your home.

A little side note... We have chosen not to use Wisdom Words. However, it is a fabulous program and I wouldn't have a problem using it at all. Instead, we chose the Phonics Road series. You can see more of that on my blog as well. Our math (currently) is Math U See for ds7 and Life of Fred and Calculadders for ds10.

Now for the BIG binder... Volume 1! Upon opening, you'll notice it has an overview of the entire volume. This is handy to see what you'll be covering at a glance. Mrs. Avery then has several pages of information, introduction, and ideas on scheduling (if you aren't using the Day by Day planner.) Then you'll see those lovely Unit dividers. Open divider Unit 1 and you'll see a Unit and chapter overview outline. "Unit 1, Chapter 1, 10 days" is the first heading, with the outline below. Of course you can make a unit last as long as you like. Remember, you are in charge of the flow, so if you want to follow rabbit trails, go for it! But she suggests how long a unit ought to take for planning purposes. Then comes "For Your Information" where you, the teacher, will learn more about the topics you'll be teaching. So far all these pages have been white in color. The Bible Lessons and suggested reading list will also be in white. After that the colors change and they become quite important.



This is another of the areas that I love in Weaver! Each grade, from K-6, is separated by color. So all pages of lessons for Kindergarten are golden rod. If I have a student who does work at a K level, I will turn to the golden rod pages no matter which unit I am on. She assigns them as grade levels, but you decide what level you want your child to work. In fact, they may be working at K level in science and social studies, but in language arts you feel like putting them on the grade 1 work. You have total control over the work they will be doing.

At the end of each chapter you'll see white pages again. Don't overlook them! There, you will find vocabulary words, health and safety, field trips, observation projects and memory verse suggestions.

So how do these 2 binders work together? Remember, earlier, when I said I'd get back to the grade levels and objectives? Here we go! So when Day by Day Unit 1 Day 1 says to teach your K student Science Objective #1... you'll go to Volume 1 binder, open it up to Unit 1 Chapter 1, turn to the golden rod colored pages labelled Kindergarten, look under the science section and read Objective 1! Day by Day will tell you exactly where to find everything in the Volume that you'll do that day. Simple! So I have those little post-it notes that I use as my own dividers. In the Volume, I have one saving the page we're on for my 1st grader, and one for my 5th grader, and one for the "For Your Information" section for me! In the Day by Day I have one that holds my place each day.

At the very back of the Volume you will find the Resource tab. Mrs. Avery will often refer you to something in that resource section. So don't overlook it, there are several useful pages!

One quick note: There are 7-12 grade supplements that you can order to make this curriculum go all the way through graduation! I haven't seen those, personally, so I can't speak to them. Maybe someone will leave a comment here that explains those further. But I thought it important to let you know it does go through grade 12. In the same manner, there is a Weaver Interlock binder for Pre-K! So it can be a complete curriculum from beginning to graduation if you wanted.

What about the cost of all those books she suggests? I have found that some of the suggested Milliken books are worth having, however I bought them used on Amazon and other places. And I wouldn't recommned them unless you are dealing with upper ages, possibly 4th grade up. The usborn books are great. They are generally easy to find in the library, but worth looking for if your library doesn't carry them. Speaking of the library, most of the topics you'll cover can be studied in depth with books found at the library. So you could honestly do most of your studies with the library and the internet. No major book investment needed! I also found that many of my books on my shelf at home have worked just fine.

What does a typical day look like for us? Amazingly smooth compared to before! Remember when I said there was great apathy many days in our schooling? No more! We usually start with our AWANA memory verses. Then we'll move into the bible study and sometimes I'll add an extra book or even bring out a hymn CD to sing together if it fits the lesson. Then we move right into the topics that the Day by Day has laid out. The wonderful thing about a unit study is that both boys are learning the same things together! When we've finished with the work listed, I pull out the Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading for ds7, ds10 works quietly on his Calculadders. Then ds7 watches his Math U See video or does his MUS workbook while I work with ds10 on his Bridge to Latin Road. We do all of this from 9:00-11:00 each morning. Sometimes we may go right up till noon depending on what we're covering. Any time left over can be spent with ds10 doing a read aloud with ds7. Last week we studied composers, so ds10 would read a picture book to ds7 about any given composer. After lunch we usually have a very free flowing time. The kids may take the afternoon to enjoy the sunshine outdoors. They may play card games. Or they may be found turning their school work into play. And this isn't unusual since we've started The Weaver! They learned about architecture, so in free time they watched DVDs about buildings and bridges and they built them out of legos.

Gone are the days of complaining about school. Back are the days of awe and wonder over what we're learning! Do we still have bad days? Sure! I think any homeschooler has to question their sanity at times. But I am so grateful for the joy and interest that The Weaver has brought back to our learning!

Feel free to ask questions or post comments. :) God bless you in your journey, no matter what it looks like.

31 comments:

  1. THis was helpful as we gear up to start volume 1 later this year! Thankyou for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome :) Feel free to ask questions as you have them come up. If I can't answer them, I bet someone can! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...very informative and detailed post! What I like about what you brought up is that this would work for families with multiple ages (or grades if you go by grades) and help eliminate the need to figure out how to modify a lesson by that age (or grade).

    Something else is that from the setup...one can put in as much as one wants and expand or just go with what is already there; It looks very user friendly and really, there is a lot of detailed and work that has been put into it and just with the day to day planner....this works well say if there is a sick day, have to travel or if hubby wants to participate and use a post it note to mark the place.

    I'm thinking the reading assignment re-usable post it notes I made (they can be downloaded on my website or if you're on the homeschool community, Conservative Homeschooler, there's a link to them under Member downloads,) would work great with this, since a mom (or dad) can look ahead at what is being read, write the assignments in and say if they are using a workbox system, use that to fill the boxes ahead of time without much work that is usually involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You bring up a good point about dads, I'm gonna post another thing before I forget all for the dads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post christa!

    debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a great product, if I were a digger, we would be using it too. All of our curriculum is Bible based, and we do family time every evening, so I am still happy with the direction we are going in. So glad you found the curriculum you love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sam. I hope you are able to find what you are looking for with your curriculum choices this year. :) God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you set up a separate binder for the yourself? I skimmed through part of your post, so I may have missed mention of it. On the other hand, if you don't have a teacher's binder it might be helpful. Since your Weaver materials came from someone else, you may not have heard of the TEACHER'S FRIEND. Basically it is a set of tabs that you put into your own ~2 in. binder. Then, for each unit, you pull out the unit info from the volume, the Day by Day, and the supplement (if you are using this). These are put into your teacher's binder along with the entire Resource section. With the unit pulled out separate like this you only have one lighter binder to deal with at a time. If you don't have the TEACHER'S FRIEND divider pages, you could use any set of dividers.

    Some Weavers pull out only the grade levels they plan to teach. I prefer to pull out the entire unit. Sometimes, one grade level will refer to another grade level or the D.B.D. will give instructions to use another grade level for something. With the entire unit together I just have to turn a few pages. More importantly, I have an easier time keeping everything in place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Brandi! I love the idea! Since everything is handy in my book shelf by the table I haven't tried anything like a teacher's binder. That said, now that I have the flow of how this works, I may look into something like that. Especially if I travel with the kiddos to see family. Sometimes I will head up to see my dad, and one small binder would sure be easier to transport than all the big ones. :) Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. By the way, I have a slight addiction to books and office supplies. So the suggestion of setting up another binder is making my mouth water. I need help...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for blogging about this! My son is 22 months old, but I am planning to homeschool him & I am planning to use the Weaver curriculum. Any tips & info you can share will be much appreciated by me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is great to hear! :) You will really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, I did it, I made a Teacher binder. :)I'll start using it tomorrow and see how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought the basic idea of the Teacher Binder was in the intro section of Volume 1. I may be wrong. Do you have Teaching Tips and Techniques? If not, I highly recommend you get it! That may be where I've read about creating your own binder. The author of The Teacher's Friend is a former AOP rep who was part of the Unofficial Weaver email list for many years. So many of us talked about our personal binders, and recommended to others to make one, that she literally "wrote a book about it!" Ha!
    (As a side note, the font on this blog is hard to read... but that could just be me getting older.)
    Kelly H.
    kelly@unofficialweaver.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kelly, I do have Teaching Tips, but it's been a while since I read it. I ought to do some re-reading huh?

    Sorry about the font, the only part I struggle reading is the exlamation point, the ! looks like the letter l. LOL I will probably change it again at some point.

    I have enjoyed using the Teacher Binder, was a great suggestion. :)

    Kelly, I know you have plenty of experience using Weaver, feel free to post any suggestions or comments!! :) And THANK YOU for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to use the Weaver more and more. I've been using ABeka, and we love the reading, but my kids (first grade and kindergarten) have begun to dread all the repetitive paperwork that seems like "busywork" to them. I'm trying to figure out how I can make Weaver work for us, though. We travel a lot with my husband's work, staying in hotels across the country for only a few weeks at a time in each, and we are planning a semi-permanent move to Mexico in a few months. So I don't exactly have access to a library! How bare-bones would this curriculum be without library books? What should I do? I'd really like to switch to this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Will you have access to the internet? I believe a lot can be done with the net! :) Weaver's book list, to me, is limited. It hasnt't been updated in years. There are so many fabulous resources available. I could probably gather just a handful of favorite books and the internet and do fine with Weaver. To me, Weaver is very easy to travel with (or hand off to hubby if I happened to be sick for an extended period of time...) So I think the usability would work well for you. If you don't have access to the net when you travel, let me know and we'll see what resources we could come up with as must haves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, I always have access to the internet. And we can usually find a library where we can sit and read a few things without checking them out. My husband assures me that even in Mexico City, I'll be able to sit in the library with the children and read the books there, even though they don't let you check them out down there. So I guess that settles it! I'm so excited to make this change! Another plus is that it is so much more affordable than buying new books every year for three plus children!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Exactly! I love having one curric for both my boys. And my youngest will likely go through it a second time. So nice! And you can find it used at very good prices if you do some searching. You can choose to use Wisdom Words, that is part of the Weaver, for your Language Arts curric if you like. I chose to use The Latin Road, which I also have a review of on my blog... And for math I have loved using Math U See for my kids. My oldest will probably switch to Teaching Textbooks next fall. That's it. That's all we use. Everything is covered in these things. :)

    I'm glad you can use the net and have access to libraries. And I'm excited for your new adventure in Weaver! :) Keep us posted when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for this blog! I am contemplating using this curriculum with our four children ages 5, 5, 7, and 8. We just pulled our children out of the public school system this year, and are supplementing their school year with workbooks from the teacher store in town to finish off the school year. I find that I am assigning what seems like five million worksheets and bouncing from child to child within a five hour period and fully exhausted at the end of the day. However, I find myself hesitant with this curriculum, wondering if they will meet up with state public school standards just in case we decide home schooling is not right for us and do to the state law that our kids must be tested with a standardized test every three years. At the same time, I question any hesitation that pushes me towards a more secular curriculum for my children and wonder if I am just not taking that step of Faith.

    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Have you tested your children with a standardized test after implementing this curriculum? Am I over-thinking or not giving this curriculum enough credit for what it is?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi and thanks for the comments. You have lots of great questions, let me see if I can cover them all...

    Testing... Our state doesn't require testing and so I don't test. I have a problem with the whole "what your child needs to know by this age" theory. "Not that we dare to classify or compare ourselves with some of those who are commending themselves. But when they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding.... For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends." 2 Cor. 10:12, 18. You can get a better feel for what I'm talking about in my blog post called My Foundation. I highly recommend reading it before charting your homeschool adventure :)

    If you feel the need to keep up with what your state's scope and sequence is all about, you can do that. You would just want to follow Weaver and add supplements that would keep them at the state standards. That said, you may find yourself equally exhausted. The freedom in homeschooling is letting go of the 'world's' standards and just teaching them what they need to know when they are ready to learn.

    Your kiddos are wonderful, fun, young ages right now. So you can get away with lots of flexability in their learning. You don't need a lot of structure yet. Plenty of learning will happen as you live life together.

    Do I think you are overthinking the curriculum? I think you are wise to think it over. And wiser yet to pray over it. If you feel the Lord is calling you to use The Weaver, then by all means, do so! :) He will bless you.

    You mentioned being exhausted and I have some thoughts for you. As I said, read My Foundation first. Take some time to pray about what education really is, from God's point of view. If you try to make a 'school in the home' you will tire and your homeschooling journey may be short lived. Learning is fun. They are young enough to likely still have a great love of learning. So foster it. And remember that all learning is not to 'puff up' as Scripture calls most knowledge, but it is to recognize the Creator and to worship Him. :) Your goal first is to disciple them to Christ. But that is all mentioned in that blog so I won't go on and on about it now. Anyhow, pray over what education ought to look like in YOUR home. Not the beautifully illustrated homeschool magazines or blogs you find online. Homeschooling is tough! There are days you'll wonder what in the world you were thinking. And then there are days that are beautiful and you feel so blessed to be a part of it. And often they are not only in the same day but even the same hour! LOL So I'd encourage you to jump in, take a leap of faith, and know that on your hardest days there are other out there in the same boat who are willing to help and encourage you in this journey. Brighter days will always be ahead.

    We've always homeschooled, and my boys are 10 and 7 now. We've loved our homeschooling journey and I'm so blessed to be able to do this. But since we've started using Weaver, we have really had a greater focus on the Lord than ever and more joy than I could have imagined in our homeschool.

    Please keep me posted on your journey and also on what you think of the Foundation article. And if you have further questions or need encouragement, let me know!! Oh and you'll see on the right side of this page is a link to the Conservative Homeschooler site. I highly recommend visiting there. So many encouraging moms fellowship there! :)

    God bless you in your journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you again for all of your encouraging words. Your foundation article really makes sense and if you don't mind, I plan on sharing the link on my fb page with friends.

    I have purchased the Volume 1 basic five, pulling it all together and the teachers helper. I was able to preview a ten day pdf today and I am so excited about it. I love the skills evaluations so it clearly lays out what they have accomplished.

    More importantly, I am so excited to have Bible time always incorporated and I feel confident in raising them on a firm foundation of our Lord and Savior!

    Again, thank you so much for your input and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Amanda! Your enthusiasm is infectious. :) You are most welcome and you are also very welcome to share the My Foundation blog with whom ever you like. :) Can't wait to see how you like Weaver. There are some Weaver links on my blog also. :) Enjoy and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  24. All of these comments have been so helpful!! I've had a hard time finding detailed feedback from Weaver users... Even the AOP rep told me they just dont sell alot of it, which I just don't understand. Anyway... I just placed my Weaver order and I am so excited to get going. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Tiernan. I found the same thing when I started. I really felt like the Lord was leading me to The Weaver and yet information was difficult to come by, but I think that is starting to change. There are a few of us who have been so blessed by this curriculum that we're shouting from the rooftops! :) I can't wait to hear how you are loving it! Be sure to keep us posted. And if you have questions, please ask away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey, I am not a Weaver yet. I found your blog after researching curriculums for a week now. I really like Wever. I have three that I will be schooling next year. None of our previous years have been so great. I was wondering a few things. Does the Volume just tell me what to do. Then I find sheets, activities, and materials? 2) if I purchase Volume one, do I need to order a supplemental spelling, grammar, reading and math? I understand the math and reading but the website states the Volume includes Language Arts. 3) my third grader...do I need a supplemental reading program for her?
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Sandy! Schooling 3 can be a challenge. That's why a unit study is so fabulous, to have all of them learning together, but at their level. :) And it isn't "school at home" but it is more engaging and interesting for all involved. It does take more of mom's time because you don't get to give them a workbook and check their work later. You will be getting hands on with them. But it really has made for a far richer homeschooling environment! If you haven't yet, consider reading my article My Foundation for Homeschooling on this blog.

    Everyone finds their own 'groove' with Weaver. But I highly recommend the Day by Day as it does break down what to do each day. In the Volume you'll find all the things you need for Social Studies/History, Science, Health/Safety... Then I like to add all sorts of books and DVDs from the library or other local homeschooling moms to make it a richer study.

    You will need grammar/spelling unless you decide to use The Weaver's Wisdom Words (which you'd purchase in addition to the Volume and the Day by Day.) I, however, chose to use The Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading for my 7 year old and The Latin Road for my 10 year old. The boys and I are loving it!

    And you'd need a math program. My sons both loved Math U See when they were young, and my 7 year old still uses it. But my 10 year old will switch to Teaching Textbooks this fall.

    As for your 3rd grader, I'm not sure what you're looking for in a reading program, so I'm not sure what to suggest. I would say that you could assign her any books you'd like that follow your topic for the week. For example, when learning about transportaion I assigned my oldest to read a handful of books about the Wright Brothers and Amelia Earhart out loud to his little brother. You could take it further and have her do a presentation from her reading.

    Once upon a time I had my oldest do a 100 Book Challenge. We tracked his books (if they were thicker books he counted them as 2 or even 3 books) and when he reached 100 he got a special bowling trip with Daddy. (His choice.) The books had to be free time books, not part of his school time reading. So that might be helpful to you also.

    Hope those ideas help a little. Please ask if you have any other questions or concerns. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. You answered all my questions! Thank you. I am ready to purchase for next year while I am so excited! I have a teaching degree for middle school, so I was unsure how long I had to teach my kids a reading program. Thanks for clarifying! You also fixed my issue with Wisdom Words. Thank you so much! I think I am ready for Weaver!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can't wait to hear how it's going. When your box comes and you see those huge binders, don't fall over. :) Just take time to flip through them and I might also suggest the Teacher's Friend to keep everything organized. :) Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Does the teachers friend come with the basic 5 or is that seperate?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Tiernan. I can't speak for companies like CBD but I know that the publisher offers it as a free addition to the Basic Five. http://www.aophomeschooling.com/product/wkv01/ It shows it on that site. If you are ordering anywhere else you would want to ask the company specifically.

    ReplyDelete