Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My Commitment

Do you ever feel like your level of commitment is based on someone else's actions or reactions, or your own feelings? I have heard it over and over. Maybe it's about homeschooling~ "I can't homeschool these kids, they won't listen to me." My commitment to homeschool being taken down because of their actions. "Or, I did this because my spouse did that." As if the way your spouse acts should have anything to do with your level of commitment to the marriage. Or, "My boss is a jerk, so I'm going to ________." Justification, again, to act in a way that is not becoming.

Lately I've heard a lot of these, especially when it comes to marriage. I know that each couple falls in love and can't wait to stand before witnesses and promise to love, honor and cherish each other till death do them part. And somewhere along the way, the enemy will create problems. After all, marriage was God's idea, and so why wouldn't it be a difficult thing now and then? But it seems that so often we hear people say "well if they would have loved me like they were supposed to, I wouldn't have done this." Really? This breaks my heart. No matter what my husband and I go through, the word 'divorce' doesn't enter the conversation. I love that. I am completely safe in that commitment, I know he has no thoughts of giving in when I come up short. And vice versa. Does that mean hard times don't happen? Not so. We are still two people with sometimes differing opinions on life. But I have confidence in our commitment to each other before the Lord!

I know that I haven't loved God like I'm supposed to. Have you? I have not been a faithful bride at all. I mean, I do love Him, but not like I should. Not in a completely self-sacrificing way. Unfortunately I still think of my own feelings far too much. And yet... Christ still died for me. While I was still a sinner, He died for me. His commitment to me went all the way to the cross and beyond.

No matter what the circumstances, our commitment to people around us should stand firm in God's Word. My commitment to my husband is not based on how he treats me, or how I feel. It is a covenant, between my husband, myself and the Lord. I'm accountable to God for how I act and react in this marriage. And in my commitment to raise my sons. And in my job. Even if my job is 'only' around the home.

My work as a housewife should honor the Lord. When I'm doing things for my husband, I should be doing it with a joyful heart, serving my husband and Christ living in Him. After all, would I be snarling and grouchy to wash clothes for Jesus? If Jesus asked me to make a meal would I complain? I would hope that I'd be more than willing to do anything He asked. So why not have that diligence for my family? If I am doing for the least of these, then I'm doing for Jesus.

If you have felt a weakening in your commmitments, maybe leaning on feelings instead of facts, I challenge you to get to the Word and be refreshed. Ask the Lord for strength and vision. Clarity in our work. The ability to carry it out. He's more than happy to oblige.

Disclaimer- I am writing this because I, too, happen to be human. I've struggled over the years with my level of commitment too. It's as much a reminder to me as food for thought to anyone out there reading this. :)

6 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful to be secure in marraige because both of you are committed? I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is so very refreshing. I am sick and tired of being driven by my feelings. I often keep them at-bay. But recently, having been in a slump, I am reminded of the lack of joy, lack of spiritual productivity and lack of impact in my family that occurs when I am basing my day on how I "feel".

    Though God has made his creation a "feeling" creation, he also calls us to buffet our bodies, take every thought captive, think on these things...etc. We have much work to do every moment to conform our minds to Christ. Only in His power and through His Word can we have daily success to defeat the flesh and live in a way that gives him glory!

    Thank you friends that encourage me toward righteousness! I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) You are a HUGE encouragement to me as well, your phone call the other day literally made my week! We are created to to have emotions, and sometimes those emotions are a blessing, other times they run away with us. It is a wonderful thing to have each other to lean on in the body. :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for posting this, great reminder on basic truth :)

    ReplyDelete