Sunday, May 1, 2011

31 Days~ Day 1

It's day one and already this day was more challenging than I expected. And to think, it's only day 1! Sarah asks us to come up with a mission statement as a part of our Mary Challenge. The Martha Challenge is pretty simple. Since I seem to have every cleaning item under the sun, so I didn't have to go looking for anything.

But a mission statement... Oy! She said it should only take a minute to read. She didn't know how long winded I could be... I want a clean home, not because I'll be in some magazine, or look like I have it all together for surprise guests. But how to put into words the reasons deep inside my heart for an organized and welcoming home...

I have to admit, I actually kind of enjoy cleaning. It's true! I love going to cleaning seminars and bringing home new fluffy dusters and microfiber mop heads. What I don't like is the clutter. That's another story. Once upon a time I felt guilty for enjoying cleaning. I had some people tell me that it appeared I really did have it all together. I felt so bad, because I didn't want to make anyone feel like I was better than them or that they weren't doing as well as I. I truly didn't 'have it all together' at all. But, how silly that was!! Were my eyes on God or me?? The fear of man is a strange thing. I don't think ANYone really has it all together, we all know what's stacked in our closets, emotionally and physically. But a dear friend told me that if God gave me the ability to work in my home, and even enjoy it, then I ought to joyfully go about doing just that. So long as it isn't taking away from my family. Anything, even cleaning, can become an idol.

But how do I put it all together into a 'why' statement? I was told once to always write in the positive, rather than saying how I wish things were or what I don't want to do. So, here goes.

"Daily I desire to bless and honor the Lord, first, doing all as unto Him. "So as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the Knowledge of God." Col 1:10

I am blessing my husband, who works so hard outside the home. He has a warm, inviting home to return to each night. Our boys are blessed by the nurturing environment I create. "The heart of her husband trusts in her..." Prov. 31:11a "Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her." Prov. 31:28

My home is welcoming and peaceful so I can bless others. "She provides food for her household... She opens her hands to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy." Prov. 31:15b,20.

My home reflects peace and joy, and my heart is bountifully blessed. "...and she laughs at the days to come." Prov. 31:25b

I work eagerly and willingly for the love of the Lord, my family, and others. "She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness." Prov. 31:27 "She works with willing hands." Prov. 31:13b"

If I want to read it in just a minute, as Sarah suggests, I can leave out the Scripture verses. But I really do best when I have Scripture to guide me. :)

How's everyone else doing on the mission statement?? See ya on Day 2!

5 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful and beautiful statement. So glad to have you joining in, friend!! :)
    HUGS!
    Christin
    Joyful Mothering

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very inspired and actually created a bookmark to print out and remind me of the verse that really inspired me with reading "31 Days to Clean". I have it over at my site, Sunflower Faith along with my thoughts.

    I also posted about Day 1-Mission statement over at Conservative Homeschooler-Raising a Generation for Christ in the hopes to encourage others to check out the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll come check it out Twinkle :) And thanks Christin, miss you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, I have been enjoying this book:-) I think it's refreshing, don't you think!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do. I will be having to make a few alterations as I'm going out of town for a couple days. But that is easy enough to do :)

    ReplyDelete