Tuesday, May 31, 2011

It's Homeschool Convention Season!

And what a glorious thing, that! I love the Convention!


If you haven't been to a convention, I'll take a minute to let you in on why I refuse to miss one.

1) It is my break time! I get to get away from my normal daily routine for a few days! Granted, I'm very spoiled in this. My convention is 2 1/2 hours from my house. But only 30 mins from my Dad's! So I get to stay at his place which is a bonus not only because it's free, but good 'catch up time' for my Dad and me! Sometimes I take the boys, they get to do some fishing and golfing with Grandad. And sometimes I go alone (which actually is much easier for me to focus but either way works...)

2) Speaking of focus... I get to focus on what I'd like to accomplish in the next year of education in our home.

3) The Used Curriculum Sale!! I think I have an addiction that needs help on this one. I LOVE used books. And a used curriculum sale is the best! This one is bigger than any in my local town (though I don't miss any of those either!) I am able to find rare items that may be out of print, or maybe pick up something at a reasonable price that I'd othewise have to pass on buying. I also find curriculum and supplements that I have always wanted to see "in person" but have been unable to till now. I don't know about you, but I like to see it, flip the pages, and decide if it's for me.

4) The vendor hall... As much as I love a used sale, I also love the vendors. Here's why~
A) I can't always find what I need at the used sale.
B) Sometimes you just have to have 'new' no matter what.
C) It's a very good thing to support these companies. Many of them are homeschool families, and who doesn't want to support them? And if we stop buying a curriculum, the company may stop producing it.
D) Again, I like to see the curriculum "in person" before buying if at all possible.
E) I get to ask the vendors specific questions.
F) A lot of booths offer special prices at the Convention!

5) The speakers... I don't care how long I have homeschooled, by the first weekend of June (this is when our annual convention is scheduled, and like Pavlov's Dog, I start drooling near the end of May) I am ready for some support in some area. Maybe I need the 'hang in there' speech, or maybe the 'here's how to juggle housework and homeschool' talk. Whatever my need is at that time, it seems there is a speaker covering just what I needed to hear!

6) The fellowship... Let's face it, there is nothing like being with other like-minded moms and dads. It is encouraging, and I've built new friendships as well as nurtured old ones. This one thing is worth attending!


"But," you say "I get so overwhelmed!" Let me tell you how I prepare and see if it helps. A convention can be overwhelming, but I'd prefer you to be refreshed instead. ;)

* Make a binder with the following things inside...

* Make a list of books you already own. This is a great thing to have on your computer, keep updated, and print off when you head to sales. As the years go by, I honestly forget if I bought that one book or just considered it. Then I bring it home and find that I had 3 other copies already haha!! Even with my list, I still sometimes do this. But the list helps!

* Make a wish list, with prices! I list all the books and supplements that I'd like to buy for this year. Then I list the prices I can find them for online. This way I know if I've found a good deal, or not.

* Bring some blank paper and a pen. You'll want this for notes, phone numbers/e-mails of new friends, etc...

* Don't impulse buy on day 1... Take time looking at the curriculum. If it's something you are considering, take time to think and pray on it. It will be there on day 2. Ask the vendor if they'll ship it to you for free if they run out before you purchase your set. They'll often do that with no problem. This way you are sure about your purchase and excited for the school year rather than having buyer's remorse the first night.

* Look for audio CDs of the convention... Most every convention offers audio CDs of the speakers at the convention. This is a great option because chances are you'll wish you could be in 2 classes at the same time. Or you may find the class so interesting that you wish you could take it home and listen to it over and over. The CDs are usually very reasonably priced.

* If you just aren't sure... Still overwhelmed at the vendor's booth? Take their catalog and feel free to order later. You might miss a 'sale' at the convention, but it may be better to hold off and make sure this is the curriculum you want.

I will be heading out tomorrow, I love this time of year! If you have a question or concern about conventions, please feel free to comment! :) I won't be near my compupter from Wednesday night till Sunday night. I hope you have a blessed week, and if you are going to a convention, have fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment