Monday, November 22, 2010

It's Snow Fun!


Who says hard work is a bad thing?  Last night, my boys and husband met up in the back yard with a couple of their buddies who happen to live across the street.  They put their heads together and worked hard to build an igloo.  This meant a lot of back breaking effort, but it paid off.  Just look at the smiles going on inside the igloo, also known as the "Snow Shack."  All of them (I watched from my warm house, I worked hard enough already hehe) worked so hard for quite a long time, till after dark, to have the igloo the way they wanted.  I know my husband's back sure hurt!  And it was worth it.

Work isn't always fun.  In fact, often it is just the opposite.  However, we have a gift to pass to our kids.  The gift is hard work!  Maybe you haven't considered work as a gift.  Men and women are blessed to have the ability to do work of all kinds. 

If we can teach our young men to learn to work and provide for a family, what a blessing that will produce!  So many haven't learned what a gift that is, and at a young age, spend many years wandering from one form of enteretainment to another.  By the time they have grown, they haven't learned how or why to work.  And they certainly haven't understood their role as a provider in the family.  I have already quoted this verse to my kids...

 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat." - 2 Thessalonians 3:10

Before the ladies think they are off the hook, there is plenty of work for us to accomplish as well.  God created us all for work.  And if you are married and able to stay at home, your husband is the provider, true.  But we have plenty of work to do at home.  There is always a chore before us, laundry never ends, clothing may need repair, or a piece of furniture needs refinishing.  And dare I mention toilets?   (Of course, the post about a day of rest is going to be next, I think...)

Starting at a young age, children can learn chores around the house.  The house needs everyone to pitch in to keep it running smoothly.  And it gives each person a role to play in the running of the home.   All work should be done to the best of your ability, though perfectionism should be avoided (I should know, I'm well acquainted with it.)  Do all things as unto the Lord.  Consider your attitude toward work, be it at home or out of the home.  They are watching!  Find the blessing in your work and share that with the kids.  Teach them to work diligently for God and not man. 

I keep a romantic image of work in my mind thanks to the Little House on the Prairie shows.  There was a lot of work done in those days.  And the kids HAD to be a part of it in order to survive.  Granted, the show doesn't show the truth of how hard it was, then.  But there was an important role for each person in the family.  I believe we've lost a lot of that.  Many kids view their role as the video game player, or the sports team member, or you can fill in the blank.  But they have no crucial role to play.  That is a shame.  We can't (and wouldn't want to) go back to pioneer days.  I do so appreciate electricity, my washer and dryer and dishwasher...  But it also means getting more creative in teaching my boys to work.  So they have to at least do some chores.  But then we also work to find opportunities to serve others, thus showing them a blessing of work that helps others. 

The very craving of the lazy will put him to death, for his hands have refused to work. - Proverbs 21:25

Oh how I do not want that to be true of my sons!  I want them to be producers, not just consumers!  My dear friend said to me once "Occupy till He comes, or be occupied."  Oh how true!  If we do not occupy, we'll be occupied by mindless entertainment.  Entertainment isn't evil in itself, but it can become an idol so easily!  Laziness can even become an idol! 

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.  Colossians 3:23

I pray we can all understand the gift before us and learn to pass it on to our children.  Let us occupy till He comes, and teach our children to do the same.  Be blessed!!



No comments:

Post a Comment